REALTOR® Care Day – June 8, 2016
Over $38,000 invested in central Ohio
Almost 500 local REALTORS®, family and friends cleaned, painted, pruned and planted this past Wednesday as part of the Columbus REALTORS®’ 12th annual REALTOR® Care Day, helping improve many homes and organizations all over central Ohio!
Started in 2005, REALTOR® Care Day is an annual day of service to the communities in which REALTORS® live, work and raise families. In the last 12 years, REALTOR® Care Day has contributed $369,000 in improvements and repairs and hundreds of hours of service to residents and communities around central Ohio.
“It’s really something to see how much we can accomplish in one day,” said John Royer, 2016 president of the Columbus REALTORS®. “But what’s really heartwarming is the appreciation from the homeowners as well as the organizations. This is such a rewarding event for everyone involved.”
For the main project this year, led by co-chairs David Gill, Leslie Cady McFadden and Stacy McVey, 85 volunteers worked on 12 homes and a community garden in the Reeb-Hosack neighborhood in Columbus’ south side.
"It was amazing to see so many dedicated volunteers," said Erin Synk, commissioner with the Columbus South Side Area Commission. "The REALTORS® have such big hearts and truly care about helping the community. The residents were thrilled. Their efforts made our neighborhood a brighter place."
In addition to the main project, 21 area realty associations participated in REALTOR® Care Day attacking service projects all over central Ohio.
Over $38,000 was invested to accomplish the 40 projects which included:
- Columbus’ South Side (main project) – Made exterior improvements to 12 homes and a community garden in the Reeb-Hosack neighborhood
- Columbus – various services for the YWCA Family Center, Ronald McDonald House, and Heinzerling Foundation
- Bexley – Yard work, exterior cleanup and painting for two homeowners
- Canal Winchester - Worked with the Madison Township Fire Department to install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Clintonville - Clean up/painting at the Park of Roses
- Circleville (Pickaway County) - Repaired/painted picnic tables, campground benches, amphitheater screen, and seating at Hargus Lake A. W. Marion State Park
- Delaware – Landscaping/painting for the Women's City Club of Delaware County and Landscaping/painting for Second Ward Community Initiative (SWCI)
- Dublin – Yardwork and miscellaneous home projects for two elderly couples
- Franklinton – weeding/planting in the community gardens
- Galena – Landscaped, stained and painted trim for a resident
- Gahanna – Provided yard maintenance and home repairs for a resident
- Grove City – Planted flowers in the pavilion area at Fryer Park
- Hilliard – Installed new garage door, painted and repaired stairs for a Hilliard resident with a special needs child
- London (Madison County) – Distributed smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and provide door hangers with safety information
- Johnstown - Cleaned up the landscaping around the American Legion memorial and Bigelow cemetery
- Marysville - General landscaping and painting for the Union County Humane Society
- Powell - Built beds and supplied bedding for People In Need of Delaware County
- Reynoldsburg - inside/outside maintenance for a single parent providing foster care
- Pickerington – provided paint to the PYAA Sports Complex and visited residents at Echo Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Upper Arlington– Provided painting, small carpentry repairs and landscaping for a local homeowner
- West Jefferson (Madison County) – Distributed smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and provided door hangers with safety information
For photos, click here
For detailed project descriptions, volunteers, video and pictures, visit www.ColumbusRealtors.com/RCD.